Our recent post on having a custom pull up bar built generated a LOT of interest. And rightly so. Pull ups are one of the most “primal” movement patterns. Back in the day, a primitive man who couldn’t pull himself up a tree to escape danger or climb his way up a rock face into the shelter of a cozy cave wouldn’t have lasted long…
But unfortunately, the powerful pull up is often ignored in favor of the “sexy” exercises like bench presses and squats. So it’s time to hit the bar…
A few simple technique tips will help you get the most from this pivotal exercise without risking injury.
Here’s a summary of the key pull up cues:
- Pack the shoulders into the socket
- Keep the rest of the body tight (tighter is lighter)
- Pull the bar down instead of pulling the body up
- Expand the chest towards the bar as you pull
- Lower under control and stop before shoulder comes out of pack
This isn’t an exhaustive list though. So feel free to add your own favourite pull up tips in the comments. And if you have any questions or need clarifications, just let us know below.