Wanna start your day with a superpowered boost?
Here’s a great tip from our resident Shapeshifter Yoga expert Kristine Fondran.
Doing these 3 poses in the morning will increase your energy and sense of well-
being throughout your entire day.
You probably think you’re too busy to add to your morning routine, don’t ya?
What if we told you it’ll take less than 5 minutes?
Yeah, even Ryan might wake up on the right side of the bed for a change!
This simple but effective series of Cat/Cow, Cobra and Child’s Pose are the
perfect thing to get your blood ﬂowing and prep your body for the day. Your back,
core, shoulders, and arms will get a nice gentle stretch, and you’ll remove
tension and increase ﬂexibility.
Let’s get right to it!
Marjariasana (Cat/Cow Pose)
Starting Position Cat/Cow Pose (Table Pose)
Cat Pose/Cow Pose Inhalation
Cat Pose/ Cow Pose Exhalation
This posture will improve the ﬂexibility of your neck, shoulders and spine.
- Begin in table (Table Position)
- Inhale while raising your head and depressing your spine so your back becomes concave.
- Expand your abdomen fully and ﬁll your lungs with the maximum amount of air possible.
- Exhale while lowering your head and stretching your spine upward.
- At the end of the exhalation, contract your abdomen and pull in yourbuttocks.
- Your head will now be between your arms, facing your thigh.
- That’s one round.
- Repeat 5-10 times
- Begin on your stomach in Advasana (Reverse Corpse Pose)
- Place the palms of your hands ﬂat on the mat, below but slightly to the outside of your shoulders.
- Elbows should be close to your body and pointing backward. Rest your forehead on the ﬂoor and close your eyes.
- Relax your entire body, especially the lower back.
- With awareness on your low back and using the muscles in your back ﬁrst, inhale and slowly raise your head, neck and shoulders while straightening your arms.
- Be aware of using your back muscles ﬁrst while starting to raise your trunk.
- Then use your arm muscles to raise your trunk further and arch your back.
- In the ﬁnal position, the pubic bone is in contact with the ﬂoor.
- Your arms should remain slightly bent, with elbows in toward your sides.
- On an exhalation, return to the starting position
- Repeat 5-10 times
A note on breathing in this pose. Inhale while raising your torso. Breathe normally
in the ﬁnal position, or if you’re holding the position. Exhale while lowering your
Shashankasana (Child’s Pose)
This posture can be used for rest in between any postures that focus on the
lower back and abdominal region.
- Starting from Table Position (see Cat Pose)
- Press your hips back so your arms remain straight and your buttocks rest on the back of your calves.
- At the end of the movement, your hands and forehead should rest on the ﬂoor in front of your knees.
- If possible, your arms and forehead should touch the ﬂoor.
- Bend your arms slightly so they’re fully relaxed, and let your elbows rest on the ﬂoor.
- Relax in the position for as long as you like.
- Breathe naturally.
There you have it.
A quick and natural way to charge up your morning without caffeine, energy
drinks, or freezing cold showers.
Give it a try and let us know how you feel.