We’re always getting questions about core training on the blog. In fact, building a “six pack” is probably the most highly sought-after physique goal for both men and women.
Our resident Shapeshifter Yoga expert Kristine Fondran is here to show you how
to build those abs yoga-style!
Strengthen your core with a few rounds of Row, Row, Row Your Boat Pose!
Regular practice of Boat pose will help you develop strong abdominals muscles,
as well as improve the function of your digestive system. Plus the core strength
you build here carries over to every other activity you do.
Boat Pose (Starting Position)
Boat Post (Final Position)
Keep these cues in mind while practicing Boat Pose:
- Begin in the Shavasana (Supine Base Position)
- Take a breath in and contract your abdomen
- Simultaneously lift your shoulders and legs an equal distance off the ﬂoor (about 6 inches/15 cm)
- Your arms and toes should be in alignment
- Breathe naturally for a few breaths, and release the pose on an exhalation by slowly lowering your body into the starting position.
- Repeat 10 – 20 times
- Take a few deep abdominal breaths in between each round to relax your abdominal muscles.
When performed in the morning, this simple routine will energize your entire
body, getting it ready for the day ahead. When performed before bed, Boat Pose
can help release tensions that have accumulated during the day, preparing your
body for a good night’s sleep.
And no matter how you perform it, you’ll build a strong core and sculpt the kind of
stunning abs that are the ab-solute hallmark of a Shapeshifted physique!
Give it a try, and share your favourite ab exercise with us in the comments below.